Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Life First By RJ Crayton

Hi Guys!
Well I got the oppurtunity to read this book called Life First. I was not quiet sure what to expect upon reading the books description but I am actually pleased with this book.



Books  Description:
Strong-willed Kelsey Reed must escape tonight or tomorrow her government will take her kidney and give it to someone else

In this future forged by survivors of pandemics that wiped out
80 percent of the world’s population, life is valued above all else. Those who refuse the obligations of “Life First” are sentenced to death.

Kelsey enlists the help of her boyfriend Luke and a dodgy doctor to escape. The trio must disable the tracking chip in her arm for her to flee undetected. If they fail, Kelsey will be stripped of everything.

~~~~~~
A BRIEF NOTE about the story's origin from author RJ Crayton:

The way this novel originated was a bit of a fluke. I saw a story on the news about a woman who refused to have a cesarean section because she didn't want to be -- if I recall the wording correctly -- "sliced open like a pig." The woman's baby died because of her refusal. I was horrified by the situation and thought the woman awful for refusing surgery to save her child. However, the more I thought about the issue, I wondered if I was being fair. I asked myself, how often are we told we need to have a surgery, with potentially life-threatening consequences, to save someone else's life? Should she have to be sliced open to save her husband? Her brother? A neighbor? I wondered, what would it be like to live in a world like that, where we must undergo invasive procedures to our bodies in order to save another's life? I started writing Life First soon after, with just that one question in my mind. The analogy to pregnancy isn't quite perfect, as you have to eventually get a baby out by some means. As the maternal mortality rate in many third-world countries shows, maternal health is often inextricably linked with that of the baby. But, this news story was enough to plant the seed of Life First in my mind.

My Review:
What would you do if your choices where taken away from you when it comes to having surgery to have an organ removed?
Me I would run like a mad women.  I have had surgery once to have my gallbladder removed and was scared to death before hand. 
That is what happened to Kelsey Reed a young, strong-willed, healthy girl that was told that she must undergo surgery to have one of her kidneys to save the life of a stranger. Scared by this news she goes on the run. Why run you would ask why not just say no well for Kelsey that is impossible. After a large portion of the human population is wiped out it becomes illegal to have an abortion, if you are mentally ill you are sterilized and if you are a match to someone who needs an organ you are forced to give up that organ otherwise you are sentenced to death. Will Kelsey get away or will she have to give up her kidney? Will she find anyone who is sympathetic to her situation?

You can purchase this book at smashwords.

Thanks for reading, Knikki.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment